NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Why does your skin shrivel?
Name: Timothy T Lenczycki

Question:
We have been talking about osmosis recently, and I'm sure this is connected, but I haven't been able to figure out the mechanism. Why does your skin shrivel in the bathtub?

It's the other way around. The outer dead layer of your skin absorbs water in the tub and swells. Like clothes that are too big for you, it is then too big for the finger it covers, and folds into wrinkles. You'll note that the skin also becomes softer and more pliable, also indicating that it has absorbed water.

Christopher Grayce