NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Animal experimentation
Name: Meredith J Leneveu

Question:
How do you feel about animal experimentation? Do you feel it is worthwhile, or do you think it's cruel?

Meredith,

My personal opinion is that for those investigations which could directly have a life-saving or life-quality improving result, animal experimentation is often a very useful means of predicting results of trials in humans. I personally find offensive those experiments on animals which involve cosmetics and other non- vital substances. Obviously for those experiments which can be vital to humans, care should be taken to insure that limits are placed on what can be done with an animal in experimentation to limit what is being considered 'cruel'. For example, some of the experiments might result in animal death. There is naturally a point after which experimentation leading to death of an aminal might correctly be called torture.

Ric (rickru)