NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Human cloning
Name: Jeff K Kangas

Question:
How close is genetic engineering to successfully cloning a human being?

Jeff,

I believe technically we are not too far from the possibility, but probably the bigger issue is that of a moral nature. By this, I mean would we consider it moral to clone people? Who should/could/would be cloned? For what reason? Would wealthy people make 'copies' of themselves? Would the wealthy then be able to take a greater share of the earth's resources by either living indefinitely through cloning or taking a larger share of the earth's resources out of the mouths of the less privileged? These are some of what may be far-fetched questions now, but in the next decade we may read such stories as headlines. Naturally the time to think about these questions is before policy is developed.

Ric