NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Body fat
Name: Vincent Peri

Question:
What is fat? How does it accumulate in your body?

Fat that is seen is a result of the multiplication and swelling of fat cells under the skin. The cells accumulate fat when times are good. In other words, when your caloric intake is greater than your caloric output, there is a tendency to accumulate fat. Fat is produced by using glucose ( a type of sugar) as the precursor molecule to create the building blocks for the creation of fat, a polymer known class known as lipid. Fat that is ingested must first be broken down before it is converted into fat in the body. Thus, it takes more energy to synthesize fat from fat than it does from simple carbohydrates. People who calorie count need to watch the amount of fat in foods because fat contains more calories per dry weight than protein or carbohydrates. Since fat does not include water and plants and vegetables are mostly water, a small amount of fat will have the same amount of calories as heaping portions of some vegetables. I hope I was clear. Oh yeah, there are many different kinds of lipids (including cholesterol) that are not the same as the the lipids that comprise the majority of fat deposits. This is only the tip of the ice berg and my description is purposely incomplete. Hope it helps.

Michael B Lomonaco