NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Biggest Whale
Name: Bryan J Daly

Question:
How big is the biggest whale?

Well, unfortunately, I didn't see your whale question until today, I hope you're still reading. For those of you with questions on many different subjects, PLEASE, PLEASE SEND SEPARATE QUESTIONS WITH A NOTE OF THE SUBJECT. Unfortunately, the scientists answering the questions may only have time to read the questions that are in their subject areas -- I usually only have time to read and answer the questions I know about. The largest whale species is the Blue Whale, that grows to over 110 feet long! larger than any dinosaur ever discovered, and the largest animal known to man. Due to whaling earlier in the 1900s, we don't commonly find animals this large anymore.

Thanks for asking.
Tom F Ihde