NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Surface Temperature
Name: Mark

Question:
If the internal temperature of the human body is about 98.6 degrees,what is the outside surface temperature of the human body?

Mark,

This is very difficult to address. However, if skin temperature was consistent, reading one's temperature would be performed on the skin. The body temperature remains at 37C right up to the outer layer of skin.

Surface temperature depends upon the temperature of the environment and the clothes being worn and the fur (hair) amount and the amount of air movement and the humidity of the environment and the amount of moisture on the skin and the degree of cleanliness. I'm sure I have forgotten something. :-)