NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne E. coli Life Cycle
Name: Brooke

Question:
I am doing a report on Fruit flies for my AP Biology class and my teacher put a sort of E. Coli virus in our vials to see if it would mutate our population of flies. So I need to know the life cycle of E. Coli and the stages it goes through and what it would do to our flies.

E. coli is a bacterium not a virus. It is a bacterium that lives in the colon or large intestine hence its name. I have no idea if it can infect the fruit fly or cause a disease or symptoms in them.

Van Hoeck