NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Chickadee Nesting
Name: mary

Question:
How long is the gestation period for bird eggs (I think it's a Chickadee)? Also, How long does it take for the baby birds to abandon the nest after they are hatched? This Chickadee has built a nest on my boat where the ladder is stored. I have built a nesting box that closely resembles this area and I'm going to try and transition her and the nest to this box. What do you think.....Will this work? Thanks for your help.

Small birds like chickadees take about 10 to 12 days to hatch eggs, nestling period is about the same before they leave. You MIGHT be able to relocate the nest into the artificial box, I really don't know what the odds of success are, but I suggest probably no better than 50-50, if that.