NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Interest in Accurate Star Positions

Name: Britney 
Grade: 12+
Location: HI
Country: Australia

Question:
Why are scientist so interested in obtaining accurate measurements of star positions? For what purpose can this information be used?

Dear Britney,

Great question. Over decades, stars positions can change as they move about the galaxy. But on a more immediate level, comets and asteroids move over hours and days, and accurate star positions allow us to compute where the comets are, were, and will be.

Sincerely David H. Levy

Hi Britney,

Thanks for the question. It is important to obtain accurate measurements of the relative position of stars since that data is needed in understanding the expansion of the universe, the star's brightness, and size.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have more questions. Thanks Jeff Grell

Update: December 2011