NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Earth versus Galactic Orbital Planes
Name: Josh
Grade: 12+
Location: IL
Country: US
Date: May 2, 2011

Question:
In relationship to the Milky Way would Earth actually be on its side? The Milky Way band moves in the night sky which leads me to believe Earth's rotation is 90 or 180 degrees different from the Milky Way's rotation.

The difference between the celestrial and galactic equators is approximately 63 degrees.

Howard Barnes
Astronomer.

Dear Josh,

Good question. I am not sure just what the solar system's orientation would be relative to the plane of the Milky Way. However, since there is really no up or down or sideways in space, it does not matter much.

Thanks for asking, though.

Sincerely

David H. Levy