NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Absolute Time and Existence of Visible Stars
Name: Ted
Location: NV

Question:
The stars that we see at night, are they really there or is it just the light that is traveling across universe after the star has died or moved many light years ago?

The stars you see are stars as they were a certain number of years ago. For instance, one sees the Sun (a star) as it was 8 minutes ago; Alpha Centauri as it was 4 years ago, etc. The star(s) in question might have died or exploded in the meantime, but we have to wait for that light to reach the Earth.

Howard Barnes,

Astronomer

The star light you see is from stars whose light left them many years ago. However they are almost certainly all still there, except maybe some re brighter or fainter than they were when their light left them. If you and I were close together, you would see me as I appeared a tiny fraction of a second ago. But I would still be there.

Thanks; good question.

David H. Levy