NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Earth's Speed From Big Bang
Name: Bernice F.
Location: NV

Question:
How fast does the earth move through space -- outward, say, or from the big bang? This is a question that our high school drama asked since he would like to include the answer in the dialogue of an original play that will be performed at our school.

The question of "how fast" implies a measurement with respect to some other object. With respect to the "Big Bang" the speed would be the expansion of the Universe. Now things get complicated and beyond my expertise. However, I found a couple of web sites that dig into the science in more detail, but I do not know how you will be able to integrate the science into dialog of the play. See:

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html

http://cosmology.berkeley.edu/Education/IUP/Big_Bang_Primer.html

The Earth moves at 18.5 miles per second in its orbit around the Sun, but the Sun is heading toward the center of the galaxy at an even faster speed, and we circle the center of the galaxy every 220 million years, and our supercluster of galaxies is racing away from all other superclusters at a still higher velocity. But the first answer should do.

Sincerely

David Levy