NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Moon Appearing Retrogradece
Name: Robert
Location: NV

Question:
The rotational velocity of the earth around the sun exceeds that of the moon around the earth therefore the moon never moves retrograde in its solar orbit and its actual path about the sun resembles a sine wave but giving the appearance of a circular path about the earth. Are my conclusions correct and if not why not?

Dear Robert,

Without spending the time on the math, I believe you are right. And the sine wave path of the Moon about the Sun would be hard to see at the scale of the Earth's orbit.

Good question!

David Levy