NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Viewing Shooting Stars
Name: Cameron
Grade: K-3
Location: OK

Question:
When can you see the most falling stars? Is there a certain time of year or certain day when there is more than usual?

Hi Cameron

Falling stars or shooting stars are also called meteors. If the sky is really dark, you can see meteors almost every night. When there are a lot of meteors, it is called a meteor shower. These take place at specific times of the year, and each one has particular name. Which meteor showers you can see best depends on where you live. If you live in the northern hemisphere like I do, two of my favorite meteor showers are the Perseids and the Leonids. The names come from the places in the sky where the meteors seem to come from. This year (2006) the Perseids will peak around August 12 and the Leonids on November 17. The Perseids may be harder to see because the moon will be almost full and very bright at that time. The Leonids will happen during a new moon, so the sky will be much darker and the meteors will be easier to see. Hope this helps.

Bob Froehlich

The best time to try a view "falling stars" or meteor showers is when the path of the Earth passes through the remnant dust of comets and if that particular time is when the moon is dark.

There are some reliable dates for meteor shower viewing. Here is a website that lists the dates and the names of the constellations from where the showers appear to emanate from:

http://www.theskyscrapers.org/meteors/

My own personal favorite are the Perseids Meteor Shower (in August) and in Gemenids (in December). These meteor showers can produce around 1 meteor every minute. Unfortunately in 2006, the Perseids will coincide with a full moon.

Just remember to get as far away from city lights as you can, check the weather for over-cast/clouds, bring a blanket, and enjoy the show with friends.