NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne 23 Hours 25 Minutes
Name: Christina H.

Question:
I my Earth Science book it states that it takes the Earth 23 hours and 56 mins to rotate once around the sun. If that is so then where do the extra 4 minutes go??

Rotate about axis, not sun.

In that time, the earth has moved 1/365 in its orbit about the sun. For noon to line up with the sun the next day, we must turn a tiny bit more . . . about 4 minutes worth of rotation.

--Nathan A. Unterman