NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Ecliptic, Rotate and Revolve
Name: Evaristo O.
Date: Thursday, September 12, 2002

Question:
As I have come to understand all of our nine planets rotate around the sun each on their own orbit, but my question is do all planets rotate on the same plane? Or are they depicted that way on all books just for ease of presentation?

The planet REVOLVE (not rotate) in the same plane. {Rotate is about an axis, revolve is about an orbit.} There are 8 planets (Pluto has been classified as an escaped moon). The planets, within a few degrees, are in the same plane. Pluto, which is no longer classified as a planet, orbits in a plane about 17 degrees from the plane of the planets.

---Nathan A. Unterman