NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Largest Star
Name: Dave
Date: Saturday, June 08, 2002

Question:
WHAT IS THE LARGEST KNOWN STAR IN OUR UNIVERSE -- I READ SOMEWHERE (NEWSPAPER) THAT A STAR WAS DISCOVERED THAT ITS DIAMETER WAS MEASURED IN LIGHT YEARS.

Dave

The term "largest" is ambiguous because it could mean diameter, mass, output of visible radiation, or output of total radiation, and so on. The largest star I could find is called the Pistol Star because that is the constellation where it is located in the constellation "Pistol". NASA reports it is ten million (10^7) times brighter than the Sun, and a mass of approximately 100 times of the Sun.

You can track this down further, and learn a lot of other interesting astronomy, by searching the NASA home page and the HUBBLE TELESCOPE home page and follow the links you find there.