NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Comet's Tail and Solar Wind
Name:   Shirley C.
Status:   educator
Age:   40s

Question:
Is a comet's tail similar in composition to a solar wind?

No. A comet's tail is composed of matter from the comet. This includes dust, water, and various simple organic. I've heard comets described as "dirty snowballs". The heat of the Sun and I suspect "solar wind" is responsible for the appearance of the tail. "Stuff" evaporates off of the comet. As the comet approaches the Sun, its tail always points away from the Sun. I suspect solar winds are at least partly responsible for this.

Solar wind itself is a collection of high speed, high energy electrons, protons, electromagnetic radiation ejected from the Sun. It is caused by solar storms.

For details why don't you try searching the term "solar wind(s)" on the search engine www.google.com. I think you will find a lot more info.