NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Gas planets
Name: Dane

Question:
I am interested in science-fiction, and am "designing" some planets of my own for a story I am creating, and I was wondering: Does a "gas" planet (such as Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, etc.) automatically have an atmosphere, due to the obvious fact that the majority (or entirity) of the planet is composed of gases (which are probably being given off of the planet), or is it possible to have a gas planet without an atmosphere?

A gas planet has an atmosphere unless it's so cold that all the gas is in a liquid or frozen state. It's hard to imagine a planet that cold.