NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Bending Light
Name: alex

Question:
I have read a book entitled Blackholes, Wormholes, and Time machines. In it, it claims that according to physics, time and space are both somehow bendable. What proof do we have that time really exists in more than our mental perception of the world around us? Is there any proof other than theoretical equations that could lead me to believe in things such as bendable space and time?

There is both a large body of theoretical and experimental evidence supporting the curvature of space-time.

The book "A Journey into Gravity and Spacetime" by John Archibald Wheeler tells the story elegantly without any mathematics much above the Pythagorean Theorem. Wheeler is one of the preeminent experts on gravity and relativity, but he tells the story of Gravity in a spellbinding fashion.

I know this sounds like an advertisement, but his book deserves reading by any student taking high school physics.

V. Calder