NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Sun as a Double Star
Name: James 

Question:
I believe that the distance from the next nearest star has our star in orbit around it, where it is in orbit around the galactic disk. Now, looking at past geological records, the exact time period between mass extinctions is not exact. I believe this is due to the fact that our entrance into the debris field of the galactic disk, is irregular and that time period being irregular the result of our sun actually being in orbit around the next nearest star. When it approaches the galactic disk as we do on it's approach we accellerate towards the more massive galactic disk, and when our orbit around it has us moving away from the galactic disk as it approaches our entrance into the debris field is more appearantly chaotic, and the source of the meteorites is there. I'm asking a scientist, do you think that the nearest star is massive enough to keep our star in orbit?

Of course. Gravitational fields decrease as 1/r^2, so they are felt all the way out to infinity. Absent interference from other "nearby" stars, the two stars inevitably orbit about each other.