NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Space Craft Orientation
Name: gary

Question:
In interstellar space - how does a spacecraft measure it's velocity in real time? I can understand the use of 3 gyroscopes to measure changes in direction or the use of celestial navigation for changes in direction - but as for velocity - no clue.

The only thing I can think of is to measure the doppler shift of spectral lines in starlight. You'd need a pretty sensitive detector to get good real-time response, though, and you'd also need reference shifts and star velocities for accuracy.