NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Kind of Telescope
Name: b grube

Question:
What kind of telescope do I get if I want the look at planets and deep-space objects i.e. nebulas and galaxies?

Hi Bryan-

Good question. I asked it myself, about four years ago. Sky and Telescope magazine recommends that you spend about a year observing with binoculars (amazing what you can see), before you invest in a telescope. The magazine features the binocular view of the month each month.

The most important thing about a telescope is the mounting. High power is useless unless you have a solid base. Also, it is difficult to find things, because the view is so narrow.

If this doesn't help, come back

J Lu