Hubble Space Telescope
Name: colleen p whattam
Date: 1993 - 1999
Members of my class are interested in the lastest information on the Hubble Space Telescope. Any information will help.
In just five years, the Hubble Space Telescope has:
* offered the first conclusive evidence for the existence of immmense
black holes, millions or billions times the mass of the Sun.
* showed that the universe might be younger than thought previously...
by using an accurate Hubble distance measurement to a remote galaxy.
* gave the first direct visual evidence that the universe is evolving as
predicted by the Big Bang theory of cosmology...
* discovered that many quasars...do not dwell in the cores of galaxies
[as previously thought] but are isolated in space, making them even
* solved the mystery of intergalactic hydrogen clouds by showing that
they are really the gigantic halos of galaxies.
* provided evidence that planets, and presumably life, might be abundant
in the universe, by discovering disks of dust that could be embryonic
planetary systems around young stars.
from "Some Facts About the Hubble Space Telescope" appearing in
_The Star_, vol. 40, no. 10, Lockheed Martin Missiles & Space, M
May 19, 1995
Click here to return to the Astronomy Archives
Update: June 2012