NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Big Bang Explanation
Name: j miller

Question:
I am a third grader thinking about the big-bang theory. Can anyone help me understand what caused the big bang?????

Nobody knows. There is one theory, called "inflation" that suggests it was caused by a quantum mechanical "fluctuation" in an older background universe that raised the energy of a very tiny portion in such a way that that portion just grew and grew and grew in size (inflationary expansion). There are other theories that are associated with black-hole formation in pre-existing universes. And of course there's the anthropic principle: if we weren't here, then in all probability the universe would look very different.

A Smith