NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Full Moon Predictions
Name: julie e larsen

Question:
I would like some help in finding out about the golden number for predicting or calculating the full moon and Easter. The Encyclopedia Britannica says to find it by adding 1 to the calendar year (AD) and dividing it by 19, the remainder being the golden number. If there is no remainder, the number is 19. O nce the number has been calculated, how does one use it? What does one do with it to arrive at the full moon date?

I read the Britannica write-up and it is not at all clear what you're supposed to do. I got the following from an insert that came with my desk calendar:

Easter falls on the first Sunday following the arbitrary Paschal Full Moon, which does not necessarily coincide with a real or astronomical full moon. The Paschal Full Moon is calculated by adding 1 to the remainder obtained by dividing the year by 19 and applying the following table:
1 - Apr 14   5 - Mar 31   9 - Apr 16  13 - Apr  2  17 - Apr 17
2 - Apr  3   6 - Apr 18  10 - Apr  5  14 - Mar 22  18 - Apr  7
3 - Mar 23   7 - Apr  8  11 - Mar 25  15 - Apr 10  19 - Mar 27
4 - Apr 11   8 - Mar 28  12 - Apr 13  16 - Mar 30

The date you get from the above table is this so-called Paschal Full Moon; it may be a day or two off from the astronomical full moon.

So for this year the "key" is 1; Apr 14 is a Friday, so Easter is Apr 16. The article doesn't say what the range of years is to which this method applies; I would hesitate to apply it except for years in the 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries.

RC Winther

n b