NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Jupiter's New Craters
Name: joy m mcclain

Question:
Hi, I teach computers in Pal, IL. This is my first logon. My question is - How many craters did the comet create on Jupiter and what were their respective sizes?

Actually, the surface of Jupiter that we can see is really Jupiter's atmosphere - all sorts of clouds and things. The comet never reached Jupiter's solid surface (if it has one), so the effect was sort of the same as a big rock landing in a lake of water. The effect of the comet was mostly temporary ripples and splashes and other fun rearrangements of Jupiter's clouds, but no craters.

A Smith

n b