NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Why Rings Around Planets
Name: rosella

Question:
Hi I'm rosella a 14 yr old student at Kotlik Schools I'm in the 9th grade and I was wondering why some Planets have rings around them and the rest don't.

If an orbiting object approaches a planet then it may be torn apart by the tidal force of the planet. The exact distance at which this happens depends on the composition of the orbiting object. This object could be a MoonHHHHmoon or a passing comet or asteroid. The debris of such objects forms a ring. So the planet has to be lucky enough to get an object within the correct range and and at not too oblique an incidence.

Jasjeet

n b