NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Star Charts
Name: wildman jackson

Question:
I have a program called Starview.exe which plots the stars for whatever day/time/elevation you are and so on. It then gives a round plot of stars on the screen (as if one where looking up into the sky I suppose). How would I interpret what was overhead, or what appeared on the horizon according t o that chart? It's kind of confusing.

Hard to say, but if it were reasonable the center should be overhead and the edges should be the horizon in various directions. I have not seen the program, but you might start with your present location and time and then go out to see if a particular direction makes sense in she the sky.

Samuel P Bowen

n b