NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Moon Dust and Age of Moon
Name: Unknown

Question:
I recently had a discussion with a "young earth" believer in Biblical creation. He raised an argument claiming that the moon could not be as old as scientists claim because there is not as much dust (cosmic dust?) accumulated on its surface as would be expected from its rate of deposition. I had never hear d this argument before, and I am not sure where to go to research the problem. Has anyone dealt with question before, and do you know of any references that address this question?

I am not familiar with this argument. I think any good general astronomy textbook would be a good place to start looking for references. I believe that some of the rocks returned by the Apollo missions were quite old, but other were formed more recently. Apparently some parts of the lunar surface were flooded by molten lava 1-2 billion years after its formation. That would certainly destroy wipe out any dust layer.

In addition, I believe that the origin of the moon is still unknown. Some people believe it was formed in unison with the Earth; others believe it was a separate body which was captured by the Earth.

Richard A Gerber

n b