NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Jupiter's Blemishes
Name: benjamin p heroux

Question:
I've seen small amounts of clear liquid hydrogen. However, like water, does hydrogen in large volumes absorb wavelengths of light like water? What "color" is it? No, this isn't really a chem question - are the Jovian pot marks from the July bombardment black openings to liquid hydrogen? Are they black? Are they of liquid hydrogen?

No, I do not think the blemishes are hydrogen. The data I saw said they were compounds from the upper atmosphere. Ammonium compounds I think. The hydrogen is supposed to be in the solid part of the planet. This is much deeper. Are you referring to the blueness of water when you talk about the color of wat er? Most of that comes from the sky. I think. It will be exciting to see what the sprectal absorption of the Jovian marks are.

Samuel P Bowen

n b