NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Jupiter/Shoemaker-Levy comet
Name: traci a saucerman

Question:
The Shoemaker-Levy comet is scheduled to collide with Jupiter sometime between the dates of July 16-22. What are the effects of this collision expected to be on the planets closest to Jupiter, on our atmosphere and on the earth ?

As far as I can tell from what I've read, no effect at all. Whatever effects there are will be confined to Jupiter, and even these are likely to be slight. Jupiter is an immense planet; I have read the collision being likened to "spitballs hitting the Queen Mary". Jupiter will easily be able to absorb the en ormous energies delivered by the comet fragments.

RC Winther

n b