NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne No Stars
Name: william b skrobutt

Question:
Is there a part in space where you can't see a star with the human eye? william b skrobutt

I think that you can answer your own question by looking at a star map, if I understand the question. Most bookstores have them.

J Lu

I don't really know how a star chart would answer this, so I guess that J Lu and I read this question two different ways. I can think of two situations for not being able to see any stars with the naked eye. One is: you're too far away from any stars to see any. There are surely vast regions of the universe, in intergalactic space, where no stars may be seen. (Every star we see at night is in our own galaxy; I have read that the Andromeda galaxy, the nearest galaxy to ours, may be seen as a faint, fuzzy patch of light in the night sky [I've never seen it my self], but no individual stars from that galaxy may be seen. Thus, it seems reasonable to me that one could be far enough away from all of the "local" galaxies that none of their stars could be seen.) The second situation: something in your environment obscures all starlight. This would certainly be the case if you were on the surface of a planet with permanent thick clouds, like Venus or Jupiter, or merely with a deep, hazy atmosphere like Uranus or Neptune. And I suspect that there are dust clouds in our galaxy that do not allow starlight to penetrate completely into their interiors.

RC Winther