NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne Space as a reference point
Name: Fairview

Question:
I would like to know if the black part is gas and could be a reference poi for finding objects in motion By the black part, I mean outer space.

The density of gas in most of nearby space is about one atom or ion per cubic meter, so it is very low density. We do not need to have any gas present to measure the motion of objects in space. One of the current questions about the black part of space is how much cold and therefore invisible mass there is out there. Some new experiments are starting to suggest there is much "dark matter" out there.

Sam B.

n b