NEWTON Home Page NEWTON Teachers Visit Our Archives Ask A Question How To Ask A Question Question of the Week Our Expert Scientists Volunteer at NEWTON! Frequently Asked Questions Referencing NEWTON About NEWTON About Ask A Scientist Education At Argonne The Closest Star to the Earth
Name: Maria
Date: Around 1999

Question:
I am a 6th grade student at University Park Elementary School. In University Park, Maryland. In science class lately, our 5th/6th grade combination class has been puzzling over the question of "What is the closest star to Earth?" my science teacher is taking a course in astronomy and HER teacher said it was some weird lons....well, I can't quite remember but it was some weird long name composed of 2 words ~K)TB2'8d The 2 words started with a "p" and an "s". But my teacher read in a book thetat it was something different. Please answer our question.

echnically, the sun is the closest star to the earth. It is approx. 8 light minutes away from the earth. This means it would take light 8 minutes to travel the distance. The other star you are referring to is Alpha Centauri and is 4.3 light YEARS away. I hope this settles the debate.

Unknown

Update - September 2004
The child is referring to Proxima Centauri at 4.21 Light Years. Not Alpha Centauri or Rigil Kentaurus Alpha, both are at 4.3 Light Years from Earth.

Dr. Yopp